“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, July 06, 2006

BEBOP_90 minutes

This one took time to set up. I realized without the proper reference these characters wouldn't look right. Hell, even *with* reference I still couldn't make them look right. Oh well - it still took 90 minutes to draw, and that's the point of the excersise.

BTW, dogs are difficult to draw. So are women. So are lavatories. So are Spike and Jet and androgenous looking girl/boys.

11 comments:

Chris Sims said...

They may have been hard to draw but you pulled this off masterfully ( is that a word?)

roque said...

Your sketches blow me away!

ed said...

fantabulous, e. Ein steals the show, really. the Witchblade is also all kinds of sessy

Jim said...

This is an amazing piece. You should throw more anime influenced 90 minute sketches.

Mat said...

Don't worry, you did well! :)

Raynard Castillo said...

Your artwork is just inspirational. Just wanted to know if you inked these during the 90 minutes sorry if this is a dumb question. But hope you had a good July 4th and I'll be visiting your blog :)

Todd Kauffman said...

you are a machine

Anonymous said...

Beautiful stuff, no matter how long it took you to draw. (seriously, the time to draw thing is kinda annoying to the slow among us.)

K.G. said...

Wow....This is one of those moments where you question just what the hell you were thinking at some point in the past. I remember when you took over Mr. Majestic and I could not wrap my brain around your art. Looking back, I don't know why. Maybe it was because you followed McGuinness or it was just for some reason too angular and linear for me. I don't know. Anyway, years go by and I see your name on all the great Timmverse shows... And today I stumble across Ben Jones' blog and see he has a link for you...and I clicked it...
Holy smokes. You are FANTASTIC! Such vibrancy and fluidity. I see the animation in single picture form. What the hell was I thinking in the past??? And you are dedicated to posting as much as you can. I haven't posted in two months! (Then again, I can't draw like you.)
Just wanted to tell you that I am really happy to re-discover your work and I will be checking everyday. Thanks, you've become an inspiration.

A_Train said...

I just came here off Drawn, and the first thing I see is a Cowboy Bebop piece. Sweet!

MELLON said...

when i've drawn the bebop characters before, i had the same problem with ein, that you did... make her flat, and you've got an androgynous girl/boy and all the connotations that brings, give her boobs and you're a perv. no win situation.

ah well.

you pulle--- no, you executed it well.

good stuff sir.

-K