“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Friday, June 30, 2006

COMMISSIONS_90 minutes



As I type this entry, the Nelly Furtado video for her "Promiscuous" single is on the teeve and theres a bit where she drops a line about Steve Nash and his MVPism. Cracks me up every effin' time I hear it. If there's ever a way to automatically give your art a shelflife, refer to something that's not only relevant this year but also this season of basketball. Well, it could be argued that Nash is MVP two years in a row (thus adding to the longevity of that referrence in her song), but you get my meaning. Beautiful girl, that Nelly Furtado. Kooky with the lyrics, but beautiful.

Yeah, alright - these took longer than 90 minutes. But I had to pretty them up because people are actually paying money for them. I don't know how many of these things I've got in me - they take time and actual thought to do; I'm in serious defecit in both categories. Har!

"NELLY: Hey is that the truth or are you talking trash? Is your game M.V.P. like Steve Nash?"

11 comments:

Chris Sims said...

Commissions, huh? I might have to look into getting one of those from you. Especially if mine comes out as beautiful as these. That GL piece is SICK!

Henry Elmo Bawden said...

Nice. You better offer a book online. I kept planning to go to Comicon. Even had extra money set aside. Now with the birth of my son, I realize I didn't set enough aside. So I won't be able to make it this year. (dang, dang, dang, dang, dang.....). Anyways, would still like to get a book of this stuff. Also, have you thought about doing a little video of the process? Something you could post and show us the work in progress? I wanted to see it at comicon (more dang, dang, dang, dang....). Anyways, keep up the great work.

-Henry

Anonymous said...

WOW I loved your stuff! Ever since Cybernary.

Is there some where that we can go to see these sketches a little bigger?

scott

Jon Tsuei said...

If you buy me a milkshake I might be able to convince Eric to upload larger jpegs. I make no promises (Canete doesn't listen to me) but I will finish that milkshake anyway.

Quicksand said...

C'mon man!
Nelly met Steve at her charity game and is a canadian like Steve.
They are friends. Alejandra and Steve are life partners and they love each other. Its flattering.

Comment on my blog pls.
All the best wishes!
Quicksand

KAHNEHTEH said...

hello kids!

chris - thanks man. the GL image was a blast to do. can you guys see that's a GL robot in the background? i don' tknow if i made that clear enough.

henry - sorry you can't go, man. i know what it's like to save the pennies so you can make a big trip. silver lining is, you've got kid to care for! that's awesome. congrats! and i don't know about the video - i've got a face made for radio, if you know what i mean.

scott - one of the primary reasons why i don't bother posting them larger in size is because i don't want people to see my mistakes. larger the scan, the more obvious the screw ups. trust me, they're better at this size. and don't buy jon any milkshakes for larger scans. let him work for it - make him do jumping jacks or something.

quicksand - i tried to post on your blog, man. no joy. i didn't see the 'post a comment' option in the entries so i'm going to have to say 'what's up!' here. anyway...thank you for the relationship lesson between nelly, steve and alejandra. now i'll know better than to make off-handed comments about the relevancy of her lyrics as it relates to a limited shelf life before i find out some background about it first, yeah? thank you for the education.

okay, that's all for now. thanks again folks!

Ken Chandler said...

Incredible dynamics! Terrific character design!

Mat said...

Amazing art Eric! Thanks again, can't wait to have this wonderful comission! Best! :) M.

Anonymous said...

I dont know Jon sounds like you have a milkshake problem and I dont want to have a guilty conscience by supporting your habit. : )

scott

Dominic Bugatto said...

There's some great stuff on this blog. Thanks for sharing.

fjm said...

hey Eric, I just wanted to say that your new stuff looks great! I am soooo loving this new brush inking you've been doing it adds so much energy and bounce to your work. I hope to see you in sdcc! take care.