“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, May 04, 2006

PIRATES_90 minutes

Inspired by Marcos Mateu, Marcelo Vignali, and Armand Serrano's blog 'El Pacifico' (el-pacifico.blogspot.com), I decided to draw these pirates. Check out their page if you've got a free minute - it's extremely humbling. At first they started doing only a couple of tiers at a time, but now they've upped the ante by doing full-on pages. The images are sick.

Finding referrence materials on Google Images is a time burner. Fifteen, twenty minutes at the computer looking for something that'll help with drawing convincing rigging on a ship is a pain in the butt. And the next thing you know, I've only got an hour left to draw. It really is a pain. So I just referenced the rigging and some of the ships then left the guns, knives and costumes to my imagination.

4 comments:

HartCactus said...

Nice action sequence!

Julia said...

wow this is amazing. i really love the gestural quality of this, as well as on el-pacifico. (you have a slight typo btw).

the costumes and knives totally fit even unrefferenced. and wow the depth and motion of this piece are really humbling. how you manage to pack so much, yet direct our eyes so well. gosh.

Jon Tsuei said...

I'm liking all the really bold lines you used in this one. I agree with Julia, lots of motion and your eyes keep moving.

The Jurassic Park pic is also really dynamic and you draw children really well. I noticed in comic books at least that many artists don't capture the youth of some of the characters. Books like Teen Titans and Ultimate X-Men come to mind in that regard.

Animation is dominated by youthful characters, so I guess animators get a bit more practice in than comic book artists do.

Marcelo Vignali said...

Whoa, this is really good!

My last page on El Pacifico was so character intensive that I avoided drawing the rigging for fear that it would be covered up by the action. But, I'm really looking forward to drawing all that stuff. I can see from this drawing, you like that stuff too.

I know what you mean about finding the right reference. I happen to have collected a lot of it over the years, and it's burning a hole in my drawing board.