“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Sunday, May 14, 2006

MEK_comic pages







This was a few years back - in my time in comics when I finally had the opportunity to work with the incomparable writer Warren Ellis (The Authority, Ultimate Extinction/Annihilation, Next Wave). It never came to be. I was so very much slower in my output back then and the idea of 90 minute sketch was laughable.

I managed to produce six pages (of which these are the first five) before I had to step away from comics all together. And even through the good graces of my bosses Jim Lee and Scott Dunbier the project just didn't materialize with my participation. It eventually *did* get made with Steve Rolston (Queen and Country, Pounded, The Escapist) handling the art chores (with Warren's writing) and from my understanding it's been collected in TPB form. It went in a different direction than what I had started visually and that's just the nature of things. It's another one of those '...almost did that' projects that never came to pass. Oh, well...

*On a small side note: Look at all that damn detail! I could never do this again even if I tried! The guy who drew this was young, full of life, and could stay up for hours on end. I'm an old man with brittle bones and the bedtime of 6PM. I could never draw this again.

11 comments:

VivaGlam said...

Damn. These pages are frickin' awesome, Mr. C. You really should be somebody in comics.

And it's kinda funky-cool that you mentioned the detail, too, 'cuz that was the first thing I wanted to say. The detail is like- like- orgasmic. or something.

Hans said...

Awesome! Love all the new posts. I'm a sucka for details, so it speaks for it self that I really dig this stuff:)

Great work,

Hans

BKO said...

AMAZING!AMAZING!AMAZING!! Give me more!! I love it! You are a master,clearly!!

Chris Sims said...

Ever think about getting back into comics? I'm sure you could become a heavy hitter in no time with your skills.

Jon Tsuei said...

Wonderful pages Eric. What was your page turn around like back when you were with Wildstorm? All that detail must have taken forever.

Steve Rolston said...

Y'know, they wouldn't let me see your pages when I was drawing Mek. Just as well since it would have made me want to give up. You really were the right artist for that book. You beautiful bastard.

Lovin' the new blog, btw!

T.Cypress said...

I know how Steve feels, I had the opportunity to do a few pages of Mister Majestic with Canete, and taking a look at Canete's work I just said "no hope for me".

Great Mek pages!!
-T
www.tobycypress.blogspot.com

marco's blog said...

beuatiful stuff!! Finding this blog really made my day...as always very inspiring work mr canete.

Nexxorcist said...

geezus christ eric. that is loaded with detail. very nice

ed said...

man, I remember these! still sweet, especially those black borders, whoever y'know.. whoever filled those in for you. obviously totally skilled. whoever that was.

MATRIX said...

tes planches sont superbes, je suis très impressionné vraiment , je suis fan.
encore bravo