“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

JURASSIC PARK_90 minutes

This was my second pass at this image (the original I had started a while back, about 10-15 minutes in) and I decided to start over because I felt that I was struggling too much with the previous version. Normally I work on an image and the process is very organic. The moment I have to start working then re-working an aspect I just *know* that I'm trying too hard to make it flow. When that happens, I usually abandon the image all together or sometimes I just start over. Damn dinosaurs.

Teen Titans producer Glenn Murakami (lookit' me - name droppin', beeyotch!) saw the original and said I lost the intitial drawing's depth; that I had pulled off foreground, middleground, and background elements in the old version better. I compared the two and I believe that he's right. But hey - that was 90 minutes ago, I've moved on to the next mistake, yeah?

3 comments:

Donal said...

Lookout, Indie!

Todd Kauffman said...

Crazy amazing:0

Julia said...

well for the rest of us it is very hard to tell since we do not have the original to compare with. however, this finished version that i do see still seems to have plenty of depth and dynamism. perhaps what makes the original better is that sponteneity which gives impression of depth?!