“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Sunday, May 14, 2006

DARK PHOENIX_color



Obviously, the color palette is taken from the original - I'm sorry for butchering your masterpiece, Mr. Seinkeiwicz . I tried to get close to the techniques he was employing, but then it became more about copying and less of an homage - which made it less fun. So I went off on my own in spots. Right below is the blue pencil rough before I went to ink. Yeah.

4 comments:

HartCactus said...

I like it. :)

be4be4 said...

Not only am I baffled at how prolific you are, but your grasp of color is impressive. Applying the "squint" test the colors are pretty faithful to Mr. Sienkiewicz's trade paperback cover (sans the very sparkly claws and Colossus bicep on the original).

Derrick J. Wyatt said...

That is frickin' sweet.

Anonymous said...

Don't sweat your aping Sink's techniques. He was aping Bob Peak.