“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

DARK PHOENIX_90 minutes

I don't know why 'Phoenix' is pronounced 'fee-nicks' considering we don't say 'basketball shees'. The English sometimes - it's confusing.

If anyone knows Bill Seinkeiwicz's cover for the 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga' then you'll easily recognize where I swiped this thing from. When I first saw that image as a teen I was immediately struck by how awesome it was and that comics can be elevated beyond it's orginal presentation of being a desposable medium - it really, really, REALLY resonated with me. So much so that I'm trying to redraw it now! Hah! I'll color this up this weekend and see how it goes - but I'm telling you, it'll never be as good as the original.

1 comment:

Chris Sims said...

Awesome work bro. I can't wait to see how the colors come out for this one. If the linework is any indication the final product is sure to be phenominal!