“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Saturday, April 01, 2006

COMMISSION RATES_info

For those of your interested in getting a commission from me, my rates are as follows:


  • Black and white, 9x12" 300 series, 100lb Bristol - $200USD for the first character, $50USD each character thereafter; limited four (4) characters total
  • Black and white, 11x14" 300 series, 100lb Bristol - $400USD for the first character, $50USD each character thereafter; limited four (4) characters total. 
  • Grey COPIC marker, 9x12"300 series, 100lb Bristol - $350USD for the first character, $50USD each character thereafter; limited four (4) characters total.
  • Grey COPIC marker, 11x14"300 series, 100lb Bristol - $700USD for the first character, $50USD each character thereafter; limited four (4) characters total.





Shipping and handling are your choice and at your expense. If you live within the continental United States your image will be typically shipped via United States Priority Mail with insurance and a tracking number. If you live internationally, shipping via FedEx is preferred and recommended. Accepted forms of payment are Money Order, Cashier's Check, personal check. The preferred form of payment is though PAYPAL. The commission will not be started until payment is received and the payment clears.

For further questions, detailed instructions regarding payment and setting up a commission, please contact my ESSENTIAL SEQUENTIAL representation, JASON SCHACHTER. His e-mail is:
jason@essentialsequential.com
Obviously, taking on the commission is at my sole discretion and at my preference. Also, I try to only do commissions of published, printed, well-known, featured (etc.) characters and subject matter. I mention this because people have asked me to do commissions of their own creator-owned characters/titles - to which I have to graciously decline. The reason being is that I don' t know in which context my work/image will be used (promotional or otherwise) and regardless of what you may say and promise, I must stay adamant in NOT doing this type of commission work. My rates for doing pencil and ink work for publication is considerably higher and should you choose to contract me to do so, we can discuss that rate further. Just contact me via e-mail if you're genuinely interested. Bottom line: you'd be better off not asking me for a commission based on your creator-owned images as the answer will typically be 'NO'.

Also, there are some of you who have asked me to do 'quick sketches' or 'convention-style sketches' - I'm guessing that is in reference to a drawing that's less polished, less intricate and more importantly, less expensive than those of my commissioned work. Again, the answer must be 'NO'. And this is for a few (perhaps not-so) obvious reasons: limited time/schedule due to consistent, unforgiving deadlines, the money you'd spend in paying me in order to get such a 'quickie' sent out to you (wile it's true that the cost for such an image would be substantially less, the shipping hand handling charges wouldn't change - the cost versus reward ratio is skewed so severely that it wouldn't be worth the time and effort to do so...trust me), etc. The most obvious of these reasons would be the fact that I do these 'convention-style sketches' at conventions! Whoa - what a surprise! To do one outside of the context of that environment isn't very time nor financially savvy.
I have a limited amount of time and an extremely small window of opportunity in which I can do these commissions, and as it stands the list becomes longer and longer as each month passes, so the sooner you get in contact with me and the sooner we set up the commission request, the sooner you'll receive it. I try to never let a PAID commission request lapse more than two months (key word here is 'paid' - there are some of you that I've promised images to that are outside the scope of this statement) so please keep in mind that it may take that long.

Thank you for reading and for checking out my work. Have a good day.


5 comments:

dmcgee said...

A very graciously and professionally worded statement, kudos!

Lucas said...

Do you sell the 90 minute sketches? If so, you could use a suggestion box as a kind of lotteryish chance for fans to get the odd little things they're thirsty for without any real commitment on your end.

Spanky said...

Jeebuz! I've only just discovered your work through Mike Oeming pimping you. Whoa. I'm absolutely floored.

Me thinks I shall have to look into getting a comm done in the near future.

Again - luuuush stuff. Nice one dude!

S.

Dan said...

Have you determined yet what your con sketch rates will be for Heroes Con? If so, would you mind sharing the info for those of us sweating over a budget for the show? Many thanks either way, and kudos to the fantastic work you do.

Joe Glass said...

I am so gonna have to save some money to get in on this. You're work is amazing!