“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Monday, April 24, 2006

ULTRAVIOLET_process



My good friend Ivan Brandon (of 'NYC MECH' fame) brought it to my attention that he didn't know that I had done an image for the opening credits for the 'UltraViolet' movie, nor had he seen the film. I don't know if those images are available online somewhere, but for Ivan's sake I'm putting up the one I did - along with the rough and the B&W stage for reference.

The 'rough' version has a splash of color thrown in so that when I sent it in for approval, the powers-that-be can sort of make out the image I was going for. They told me how much they liked the effect and that's why I executed the same technique for the final cover. I don't know if they (the movie production company) eventually used the logo I came up with in the final/colored version, but that wasn't my primary concern. I was (am) in the company of some pretty damn impressive illustrators in that opening title seuqence - I just didn't want to be the weakest link.

5 comments:

Jon Tsuei said...

I havent seen the movie and from the reviews I got from various people, it's not worth watching except for the opening sequence where all the cool art is featured.

I think your piece is very dynamic. I get the sense that the creatures attacking don't even realize yet that they've been sliced up.

dustin said...

so ivan asks you and you post it immediately. I ask you and it takes almost a year. i'll remember this canete.

warren said...

wow. Incredible style. They definitely don't know they've been done in. I love the Iron Man post too! You just did my two favourite versions of him! Weird.

ed said...

poor dustin. always so oppressed. T_T

KAHNEHTEH said...

hey guys.

jon - i've seen the movie and um...well, it was a movie alright. the opening sequence was awesome.

dustin - if i did everything you asked me to do right away, i'd have paid you back for all that money i owe you! dood, i'm not about to do that.

warren - thanks for the commnets, man. the original idea for the UV was that they were supposed to be in business suits of some type (in the rough you can see i had put in some sunglasses flipping off the guy's head in the foreground). but after drawing them sans clothing i thought that it made the image easier to read. and yeah, those are my favorite iron men(?) too: grey and red/gold with horns.

ed - he ain't oppressed. oppressed people don't get creator owned books from Wildstorm and a bazillion dollar page rate. dustin's a rockstar.