“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

TURTLES_90 minutes

Michael Zulli did it first - and it's been burned in my mind since I saw his rendition from way back when. But I think his images was put over the top by his use of duo-tone paper. This stuff comes in large sheets along with two solutions (appropriately named 'A' and 'B'). When solution A is applied diagonal lines appear in one direction and solution B's application brings out a set of lines intersecting those of A. Awesome stuff, great way to execute effects, and expensive as hell. I don't even know if they make it anymore. Nonetheless, memories of that is what inspired this image. It's from (as I recall it) a double-page spread in the second issue of that four-issue run on TMNT from Mirage Studios. I haven't seen the printed material in quite some time so I don't know how close I am to swiping the poses outright, but I swear the original was that good.

I'm a stealer.

5 comments:

warren said...

I went through your archives, and manoman I'll be checking in reg'lar. This bit has some atmosphere, a nice compositional flow, and looks so polished to boot! All in 90 minutes?!

I'd love to see what your boards are like someday! (you still doing them?) Any chance of seeing a page or twa from an aired ep over here? I'm greedy I know.

warren said...

ps thanks for playing nice over at m'blawg.

Jon Tsuei said...

I used to be such a fan of TMNT when I was young, but this is the first time I've ever seen the turtles drawn with a beak and I think it looks great. Gives them a much more menacing and dangerous feel to them.

The winter backdrop is also great. Keep 'em coming Eric, great stuff as always.

I also agree with Warren, I wouldn't mind seeing what some of your story boards look like (if they allow you to post that kind of thing up once the episode has already aired).

VivaGlam said...

So, I heard from somebody that you make DREAMS COME TRUE.

Is that true? ^_^

KAHNEHTEH said...

warren - thanks for checking back, man. much appreciated, them comments of yours. and yeah - 90 minutes is all i got before the bosses start to get mad. i'll UL the storyboards boards soon. i think the episode for these boards has aired - if not, i hope all i get is a slap on the hand. we'll see. and i wanna say again, them brush sketches of yours were (are) awe inspiring.

jon - suprisingly, the BG is what took the longest. it's all about the composition, yeah? i think i still messed it up considering you can barely see mihaelangelo back there. oh well - next time.

vivaglam - you heard that somewhere, huh? i guess if someone said it, it must be true? i hope it's true? anyway, thanks for dropping by.