“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

SUPERMAN SKETCH_SDCC 2005


Here's the trouble of seeing old images you've done: it's easier to see the things that are wrong with it. Looking back on it now, and if I had just slowed down I don't think I would have made this kind of amateurish mistake. I mean, with a little more planning and a closer inspection of the image in its pencil stage would have avoided this FUBAR all together. Because it's the little things that sell the drawings, you know? Dammit.

Case in point: this Superman image. Again, this one was for Jon's collection and considering I had already done the Batman and Robin image, I thought I'd start rounding it off and do a Superman one for him. I didn't think I'd jack it up this badly. The head and shoulders are ridculously skewed and I can't figure out why I got as far as the inking process and not to have caught it. Like I said, it's probably because I just needed a second to slow down.

Anyway, I adjusted the thing in PS (shifted the head and shoulders the right and connected lines, blah, blah, blah...) and put it up for comparison - the 'before' image is the one on top, and 'after' image is below. I don' t know if it's that much better, but for my peace of mind I think it is. I've told Jon I owe him another Superman next time we saw each other and hopefully I'll be mindful of and avoid the mistakes I made on this one. Bah! Annoying.

3 comments:

Michael said...

Eric - any chance you can post anything about the Legion show? Really looking forward to it and to see your stuff! Come visit the Legion blog when you get a chance.

KAHNEHTEH said...

Michael - sorry man. Since neither the show or any of the episodes themselves have been aired, there is absolutely no chance that I can post anything related to the series. Thanks for coming by and for the kind words.

I visited your Legion blog and it is very insightful. I had only heard about the current lawsuit regarding the Superboy character. After going to your blog I'm *that* much more informed. Thank you.

Michael said...

Sigh. There's a huge fanbase out there that's rabid for information. If anyone wants to leak anything anonymously (names of artists or voice actors, model sheets, whatever), I'll be happy to oblige! :)

Have you heard when the show is planned for airing? The only speculation we've heard was based on a voice actor being told it takes an episode about 6 months from recording to airing, and since recording started in February, that puts it at around a September launch.

As for the Superboy lawsuit thing, who knows what (if any) effect it'll have on the series.