“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

CONVENTION SKETCHES_APE 2006





Got back from the convention Monday morning at 1:30AM, had to return the rental by 7:00AM then had to get into work by 10:30AM. I'm tired as hell.

But the convention was a blast for me! I had been under the impression that two of my six fans lived up in the Bay Area so it was cool to meet up with them. The surprising thing was that there was three! Whoo-hoo! That makes seven people who really like my work. I'm quite proud.

One of the guys tells me this entertaining story that I thought I'd share with anyone who'd care to read: He's at the SDCC last year or some such, and going up to another professional, he asks the artist if he could sketch him something. Flipping through the sketchbook he stops at the Batman and Robin image I did (the one with the giant penny) and asks the kid, "How much did you pay for this?"

The kid says, "Nothing. He did it for free."

Then the pro thinks a beat and says, "Who the f*ck are you that Canete would do something like this for free!?!"

Heh! That cracks me up. I mean, it's not as if I'm Jim Lee and there's a mob around my table - and even then, Jim still hooks those guys up with awesome sketches (my respect for Jim, considering the head count of people who consistently show up to his signings and the quality of sketches he does for them, is immeasurable). I've got six fans - okay, seven. So I genuinely try to give them something to look at whenever they ask me to draw in their books.

Anyway, here are the images I've done in the past couple APE cons - the first three are in Jon's sketchbook (I've got a funny story about drawing the Big Three image that I'll reserve for another time). The 'Superman' in front of The Daily Planet was done at SDCC, I think - I don't remember drawing that image at all. 'Superman/Supergirl vs. Brainiac' are in another sketchbook that Jon's friend Brian has and the 'Destiny' image was from a guy who knew my work from way back (Ryan, thanks for letting me do that, man!) - surprised the hell out of me.

BTW, thanks to Jon and Ryan for sending my photos and scans of all these images. I really appreciate it, you guys.

3 comments:

Jon Tsuei said...

It's always a pleasure seeing you at the cons Eric. Thanks for referring to me as a "kid", I can use all the help I can get when it comes to deceiving the general public about my age, lol.

Thanks again for the awesome sketch, I was originally gonna go with some kind of theme for my new sketch book, but after your sketch I've decided the theme is "You better bring it!"

P.S.I think you forgot to put up the Superman in front of the Daily Planet piece.

dustin said...

you asshole!!! that is a BADASS ROBIN and batman! that penny really tops it off too!

dustin said...

alright.. i was just kidding.. youre not an asshole..