“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, February 09, 2006

SCRATCH PAPER_90 minutes



So, I promised 'chicks' and I lied. Instead, you get non-committal drawings done on scratch pieces of paper. Sometimes, I'm genuinely surprised how well things turn out when I don't care as much. This time around, I was less concerned about finishing the images and tried to see what came out of the pencil. I did, however, get caught up in the technical elements of each. I did as many as I could in 90 minutes except for the last one of the 'Thundercats' group shot. That one was a separate day all together.

I had no idea how to draw Yoda - I still don't. You'd think after seeing the trilogy a bazillion times I would but, nay. I've erased the ghost images near his ears in which I drew them downwards. And I've no idea if Luke's costume even looks like that - he's wearing fine Abercrombie apparel however. Heh.

Lion-O I'm fairly happy with but I had to break the Sword of Omens - bad planning had me draw it right at the edge of the paper. So I broke the sword and made it 'artsy' (more like art-faggy, actually). A technical oversight that should never happen to a guy who's been drawing this long.

The Monkeyman and O'Brien was a pain to do because I had planned to color it for portfolio purposes. And right in the middle of inking the ape I realized I wasn't very happy with it. Most of the development work I do for color is done in this single line style. Easier to select and fill, you know?

The group shot was a practice in futility. It took a day (more than 90 minutes, obviously) as I tried to keep up with a friend of mine. But there was no chance because she's so much better at drawing these characters than I am. And more importantly, she gives them personalities. I just draw action figures. But I'm trying to get better at it.

3 comments:

potato farm girl said...

Whoa!! You're stuff is crazy good!

dustin said...

why dont you try finishing a drawing for a change? maybe then we can really judge how godawful you really are.

The Big Red One said...

It's always a kick checking out your sketches. I particularly liked your lion-o, even if it does make me an art-fag.

You draw Yoda just fine, by the way. Can't wait to see more.