I’ve cued into the idea (not at all recently, mind you) that whatever gets the job done gets the job done, yeah? A year ago I would've been a stickler to do this image the way I’ve seen other professionals in this industry do pin-ups: combination ink from a bottle, 3-ply Bristol measuring 11x17, limited corrections on the original artwork, blah, blah, blah. ..It’s the grandest load of bullshit I’ve ever ran across and it's one of the most antiquated aspects of this job. Here's the mindset:
"Do it like this because it's the way it's been done for however long it's been done."
"These set of lines must coincide with these set of lines to garner this desired effect and they should run parallel but not too close...yadda, yadda, yadda."
" This must be rendered this way so that the line stay consistent with the image though out based on the lightshource...bipety, bopety, boo."
That's such crap. While I certainly advocate the basic foundation to the ends of an artistic approach I cannot fathom why it's considered the ONLY approach. I say make mistakes. Screw up big. Fail in the attempt. You’ll never know what you're capable if the standard by which you proceed with anything is mandated by rules someone else has set up for themselves and not necessarily for you. Put simply - I’m going to screw this up my own way.
I stepped away from the visual style/standard I set for myself with the 'NYC Mech' covers. I don't know why I did that since it wasn't broken - there's something to be said about being readily identifiable stylistically when you're on the shelves with 40 other books. Experimenting outside of that might be personal sabotage. I don't know. I guess I figured that trying something out and letting someone pay me to experiment isn't all that bad. Besides, I know I wouldn't have delivered the art if it wasn't something I was happy with. As it was, this was my 2nd attempt at the B&W version of the image because I wasn't happy with the original. I would've just gone back and re-colored the image and made it look like more of the same. That would've bothered me, I think.
I’ve done three covers for this editor/company but this is the first one I’ve had time to color - I hope to do more. This one was an exercise in what I could get away with (in trying to do something more rendered and 'painterly' - geez, just typing that word makes me feel like an 'art fag'), considering my limited knowledge of Photoshop. I’m old dog - I should've just stuck to the old tricks I knew but doing this was nice. I got to try out things that weren’t relevant or applicable in the previous set. Like I said, I hope I can do more.